Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Blogging on the brain

As the two people who read my blog know, (Afton & Catherine) I've been training for the Hood to Coast race at the end of August. I get up each morning before the kids and head to my super generous neighbor's garage to run on their treadmill. It works out nicely because the signal for the baby monitor reaches and I can listen to my kids in one ear and rock out to my ipod in the other. I only have to do this when Andrew is working in the morning, which is actually quite often.

Lately my kids have been waking up earlier which has been cutting into my running time. Tonight I decided that I would try an evening run after the kids went to bed. I am 100% a morning runner but I thought I'd give this a shot. As I was running a familiar topic started to creep through my brain...what's new on my sister's blog? what should I write about? should I write about how bored I am looking at the neatly organized paint cans on the shelf above me? should i ask for tips for pacing myself? I wonder what will be on catherine's blog? will claire ever start one? how can we get claire to start a blog? These are just some of the blog related thoughts I've had. I recongnized this blog brain block this evening as I was much more awake than I am at 5:00 am. It's become clear that all I can think about while running is blogs.

When I was in high school I got a song stuck in my head during a race in Los Angeles. Each step was in sync with the song and every time after that I would sing that song in my head. When the song would start to creep into my head I would quickly think of something else as to avoid the horror of this song taking over my pace and my thoughts for the remaining miles ahead. If you're still reading you are probably wondering what song could drive me so completely nuts. I hesitate to write it because I read about this song taking over the thoughts of a runner in an article in the dentist's office when I was 16. I don't know what the point was for this runner, but I'm sure it wasn't an article about how this song drove them nuts. Since this was in the days before ipods perhaps this song helped the runner stay up-beat while running. Who knows.

The point is, I have a running-blog association problem. I think of all these things I want to say or look into relating to blogs while I'm running. As soon as I get home from running I want to check everyone's blogs. On days when I don't run, blogs don't even cross my mind. Maybe the only cure for my running-brain blog block is to download "Jerimiah was a Bullfrog" onto my ipod. Oops...hope you don't get that one stuck in your head now!

3 comments:

Afton said...

I want to comment on this entry, but I can't get that song out of my head now...thanks a lot.

Catherine said...

Good stuff. You make me laugh.

About pacing - I don't know if you want to ask me. Maybe John. I'm slow. That's my strategy. I try to not be uncomfortable.

We found a 12th runner! Merrill sent out a mass email to Boeing's running club and a lady responded. She wants a hard leg too because she likes to train on hills to improve her marathon pace. Oh my heck. She's my dream come true.

I'm emailing Claire right this second to come read this post.

claire said...

Okay, Angela. I read it per Catherine's reccomendation. You are funny. This is my blog block. What if I'm not funny?